Sunday, July 14, 2013

Installing Kitchen Backsplash

When Jeff and I got up we decided to head to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. We figured we would eat a big breakfast so we wouldn't have to stop midway while we were installing the tile to eat lunch. After breakfast, it was back to Home Depot for something that we forgot. We are always forgetting something.

Now it's time for tiling. The first sheet didn't go up too well as I had peeled the whole back off and it was real sticky and sticking to my fingers and the wall as soon as I would touch it. I ended up taking some of the freshly painted wall off right along with some plasterboard. Not good. After the first piece we realized we had to take up a little off the back then slowly put the tile on the wall while while we were pulling the back up. Cutting around the outlets was a pain! We had bought a cutter for around $20 at Home Depot and when we used it to score the tiles then break where we had scored it, the cutter would break some of the tiles that we didn't want broken. I had a tile nipper that I used a lot. I think what was the pain most of all was after we put the 12x12 sheets up we had to go back around and put up about 1 1/2" more of tile above that, right under the cabinets. I think Jeff and I are in agreement that we will never do tile again. It's such a pain. We finished tiling right before Kimberly, Jacob and Brayden stopped by to get Kaysee on their way home. We decided to wait till tomorrow to grout as we were over the tile installation and I needed to get some laundry done as I was a week behind on that.

1 comment: