Thursday, March 6, 2014

Curves


Last week I decided to check Curves out. I need to get rid of this flab someway and I don't really want to join a gym like Kimberly goes to. If you aren't familiar with Curves, it's a women's only gym. The program is designed around circuit training, which utilizes hydraulic resistance equipment to achieve results. The strength training regimen is combined with cardiovascular training for a full body workout.

When I went in I was asked a lot of questions like what size am I wearing now, what size do I want to be. How much weight do I want to lose? Why do I want to lose weight? She also took my measurements, weight, BMI and told me where I should be for my height. It wasn't a pretty picture. As I was sitting there, while she was asking me these questions, I was watching the other women. It seems like the majority of the women are my age or older. Some were over weight and some weren't. It was nice to see women my age and not young women who are skinny minnies. That's one reason why I wanted to check them out instead of a gym like Kimberly goes to.

After the questions and measurements we walked around the circle to try out a couple pieces of equipment and she explained the program. You are on a piece of equipment for 30 seconds then you move to the floor mat to walk or jog in place for 30 seconds to keep your heart rate up then move to the next equipment and make your way around the circle. You end up going around the circle twice for a total of 30 minutes. 

Jillian Michaels has partnered with Curves and several times a week her video will play and when you are on the floor mat you will do the video instead of walking or jogging. Also, several times a week they will play a Zumba video and you will do the same thing, follow the video when you are on the mat. 

I figured since the program was only 30 minutes I would have a better chance of going there instead of joining a gym like Planet Fitness. Also, I figured I would be able to do it during lunch. They offer two programs Curves Complete or Curves Fitness. Since I am losing weight on my own I decided just to do the Curves Fitness. The program is expensive and you do have to sign a years contract.

So my first workout was on Monday with a coach. I have decided to go three times a week. For the first three workouts a coach will go around with me. While I was on the mat she would show me how to use the next equipment then when I was on it she would make sure I was doing it correctly. On Wednesday, she walked around with me again just to make sure I was doing it correctly. I have noticed the second time around is a lot harder than the first time around. When I left yesterday, my legs were like jello. 

Starting next week I will be on my own for a couple weeks. After that I will have another appointment with a coach who will introduce me to Curves Smart. Curves Smart is a personalized platform that tracks and manages my workouts. I was given a little card on Monday that I use to sign in when I come in for my workouts. Each piece of equipment has a slot that I will put the card in. Well that card will be able to track my workouts and let me know how many calories I burn during that workout. So that will be neat.

I hope I can continue going three times a week and not get burnt out like I normally do when I exercise. Wish me luck!


1 comment:

  1. Good luck Shaun. I admire you for dieting and excerising. Mom

    ReplyDelete