Monday, April 7, 2014

Bookcase for Cookbooks

I have my cookbooks in a bottom kitchen cabinet on a top shelf. Every time I needed to get a bookcase out it was a pain. I have so many of them so they are in there pretty tight.

On Pinterest I saw a pin for a bookcase at a end of a kitchen counter and decided to make one for our kitchen.


When I was in the planning stage I was thinking that Jeff could build me the bookcase since we could get the dimensions right; however, that didn't happen. We decided it probably would be cheaper or about the same price if we just bought an unfinished kitchen cabinet and I would stain it to match the other cabinets.

So we bought an unfinished cabinet, two side pieces, a piece for the top and feet at Lowe's. We had a hard time finding feet, either we didn't like them or they weren't the right size.


Then Jeff took the door off and we glued on the sides and top pieces then we installed the feet. Before Jeff could install the feet he had to cut them down, they were too tall. Then a few weeks later I caulked the sides because there was a gap between the pieces we had glued and the front. I also caulked the holes left by the screws for the door. Then it was another couple weeks before I stained the cabinet. We kept getting samples of stains and couldn't find one that really matched. At one time I was thinking about just painting it instead of staining it since I couldn't find an exact match but decided not to go that route.

Here is the finished product. I really liked how it turned out. We had three places to put the bookcase and decided here would be best. The other options was on the other end of the counter so it's facing the diningroom but I didn't want it facing the diningroom and basically in the hallway. Then the other place was at the end of the counter by the stove but I figured it would be in the way of people coming in and out of the kitchen.


What do you think of our DIY bookcase for my cookbooks?




No comments:

Post a Comment